Welcome!

This will be our blog for EDT400. This is where we can learn about blogging and share ideas.

Monday, February 21, 2011

How can we use Wikis?

How might you use a Wiki in your classroom with your students? If your not going to be a teacher, how might you use a Wiki in the rest of your college experience?

17 comments:

  1. Where Im going to be a kindergarten teacher I believe that Wikis could be a little hard to use. However children are doing more and more on the internet in this day and age. I think that wikis could be especially helpful in my case for a teacher parent relationship to share the experience of what is happening in the classroom during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wikis could be used as a project idea for a class. For example, if the students are put into groups and asked to research a given topic, they could compile it all in a Wiki. Each bit of information a student finds on the topic can contribute. It would be very similar to writing a paper as a group, but it would be much easier because one student won't necessarily have to be given the job of writing the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was going to be a teacher I would use wikis to collaborate on group projects, so that everyone in the group could see changes people made, rather than listen to them tell you about the changes they made. Some people are visual learners, so it helps to collaborate on things that are changing right in front of you. If I'm not going to be a teacher I would use wikis to have other people collaborate about topics I'm interested in, so I would use it for work purposes and to try to get people thinking about the same things

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wikis can be a useful tool in the classroom, from the middle of elementary school, all the way up through college. When using a wiki, anyone who is given permission (i.e. the class) can edit the wiki. This makes a great way of doing a large group research project or presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using wikis in the classroom can be very beneficial. I plan on being a secondary education english teacher I would be interested in using wikis in the classroom to share links and other material with students. Although I don't fully know how to run a wiki I'm sure it would be easy to learn with experience. Overall I think wikis are great for the classroom to share information and to create an interactive classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my case, I don't think wiki's would be used much in my classroom because I plan on teaching 2nd grade. However, technology is being used by younger students every day. Setting up a wiki for the classroom would be a useful way to let my student's parent's know what their children are learning in the classroom and how they are progressing. This would also be a good parent-teacher communication tool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wikis can be very helpful when students are working on group projects, especially if they have to carry on outside of the classroom. It allows the students to access the presentation or project without having to be all sitting at the same computer. It's also helpful because the teacher can see the amount of effort and work that each student has placed into the project (very useful when trying to give seperate grades that each student has earned in a group!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Using Wikis in a high school classroom would be a great way to teach your students things about the class or certain subjects. I know that in my high school technology was used very little. The direction the world is going in calls for more technology. I think high school students would be more engaged with something like a wiki as opposed to standing in front of the class and just lecturing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plan on teaching preschool, so wiki's in my classroom might be a little difficult. As for the rest of my college career, wiki's will be very helpful with doing group projects. I know that making our powerpoint only took a half hour total, because we split up the work and were all working on different parts at the same time. It is very easy to use and perfect for up-to-date information (and it doesn't clog up your inbox!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I plan to teach second grade as well, but I also see that technology is being used more and more everyday in the classroom, and by younger children as well. I think that wikis would be a great way to get students to work on group projects together. It would be a good way to expose students to technology, and a way for them to, as TW stated, "share information and to create and interactive classroom."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm aiming to be a Pre-K or Kindergarden teacher so wikis would be hard to use in the classroom with the kids, but it would be a good way for parents to talk to each other or with the teacher. For older kids it would be a great way for groups to work together on projects, and its also beneficial for the teacher to see who is contributing what to the project, because sometimes in a group project not everyone contributes and its unfair to the other group members to do all the work and the other person get credit for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that I would use wikis with my students when I have them do group projects. For example, I plan on teaching high school English and there are plenty of opportunities to work in groups when I want my students to present a poem or a story. Also, my dream is to teach English in Spain so it would be beneficial to have my students collaborate on documents when they make group papers or group presentations in English.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really liking Wiki's. I would love to write a book. I can use this instead of keeping the file on my computers. It gives me the freedom of doing so on my laptop or my home PC and not have to save it over and over between the two.

    As for students in a teaching experience, the opportunities are endless. It almost makes me want to be a teacher, what a scary thought. It gives children of all types the chance to work in large or small groups, as individuals and as a whole class. You can mold the teaching style how a child learns best. Not every child does well in groups or alone so knowing your students, you can take advantage of which is best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel that the use of Wikis and technology is beneficial to students in today’s society and as a teacher, I would implement the use of Wikis in my classroom in many different ways. I think Wikis can be beneficial for group projects and in class work. With Wikis, students have the opportunity to work in class and at home at their own computer on group projects, which helps students to work in the way that they learn best. Wikis can also be used for more information on particular topics or for teachers to provide access to information for parents, administration, or share information with other classes. Overall, Wikis have an endless amount of opportunities for teachers and students.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Going off what everyone else has said, I believe
    using wikis can be very beneficial in a classroom with not only students and group projects, but also involving the teachers. Personally, in middle and high school it was hard to communicate with my teachers outside of class aside for after school study time or personally calling them. In college it is mandatory to have an email account, in high school and middle school it is not. Through wikis I believe communication and collaboration can be made easier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wikis would be a good thing to use in the classroom during group projects and even for study guides for the whole class before exams. It would be a good way for students to work together and learn from each other as the course goes on.

    ReplyDelete