When first reading this article I was in awe. I feel like, particularly my generation, has grown up with technology changing all the time. Starting out in fourth grade, I began to use the internet, in 6th grade popularity of the cell phone grew, 7th grade the use of lap tops during classes, 10th grade the nintendo wii, and 12th grade the iPhone. When comparing these time frames, it is evident that kids nowadays are getting use to technology. The question, is this a good or bad thing? After reading this article it became real to me that kids are not getting introduced to technology,but living in it. This scares me because how are these kids suppose to learn good penmanship or be able to spell for themselves. I am not opposed to the idea, I would like to learn more on the benefits of giving kindergartners iPads. It's hard to understand the positives in this when the long term effects are unknown.
This was brought up in my EDB 204 class last week. My first reaction was something along the lines of: "Are they serious?!" This is likely because I remember Maine's laptop initiative. My class was among the first in the state to start using laptops, and I recall it being a rough start. I remember hearing about students who would throw their laptops down the stairs because they hated them so much. If 7th graders aren't treating computers properly, how are 5 and 6 year olds supposed to treat them any better?
I can see many benefits to giving young students iPads. The games they can play on them are likely very engaging, and it allows them to learn better. I myself found that a game called MathBlaster was the most effective way to learn my times tables when I was in the 3rd and 4th grades. My fear is that these kindergarteners will become so dependent on these iPads that they will have a hard time adapting to other forms of learning.
Will there be a weaker emphasis on learning how to write with a paper and pencil? Is it even going to be worth it if we're beginning to get children to work more closely with technology? My greatest fear is that these skills might become obsolete and that students will eventually become even more dependent on technology to accomplish schoolwork.
When first reading this article I was mildly shocked that iPads are being given to kindergardeners, especially since I grew up in the Auburn school district. Back when I was in 7th grade we first got laptops at our school but they stayed in school, and often times they got damaged by unruly guys. It wasn't until my sophomore year in high school where we had our own laptops that we could use in school and bring home. My senior year everyone got new laptops and implemented a new plan that whatever laptop you got assigned would stay with you all four years.
I was just shocked that kindergardeners are getting iPad 2's, I would of thought that they might have gone to older kids like 3rd or 4th graders. I realize that kids nowadays are completely immersed in technology, my little brother started playing video games at age 3, and being as good as my older brother as he got older. I've been inside one of the pre-k classes and kindergarden classes in the auburn school district, and I've seen the kindergardeners working at different stations doing different activities with a few other group members as one group of kids sits with the teacher and practices reading. Now I can see one of the stations having the iPads and the kids could be working on learning their ABC's or 123's or something of that sort. I don't think that it's a bad idea getting kids used to using technology, but at that age it's not like they are dependent on technology. Kid's need to be kept engaged and theres many different ways of getting them engaged, technology is just a fun looking toy or tool for them to use.
I had the same reaction as everyone else when I first heard the news about children so young each being given their own iPads, and after reading the article I still feel that it is very excessive. I agree that it is important to keep up with technology, but I feel that it is overkill to go to this extent with it. I agree with Katie that there are other ways to go about exposing children to technology without going overboard with it. She had a very good idea that instead of each child being given his or her own iPad to work it, a classroom could have three or four for the children to work with in groups and still get the same benefit from them. Children do need to be engaged to get the most out of their education, but spending $200,000 dollars in order to get them to be engaged seems very extreme. I worry about children learning at an early age that they should be dependent on technology for everything. To me, providing iPads for schools was a good idea gone overboard, but we will see how it all works out.
I think giving ipads to kindergarten students is a little extreme. I have substitute taught kindergarten classes on many different occasion and if anyone else is I think that they would agree with me. I think that teaching the students technology is very important. Incorporating computers is a great program however Ipads and Kindergarteners just doesn't sound like a good idea. I think that if you have to threaten someone the loss of recess because they wont come up from underneath a table or if they wont stop calling other students "stupid heads" they probably shouldn't be given an ipad. I think there are other things that they need that would be more beneficial to them.
I am 50/50 on whether I like the idea or not. I think that iPads might be a little much, but on the other hand, if they are using this technology outside of the classroom it would be nice to give them the resources to use it right. Many students have this technology at home and their parents are using it as an electronic babysitter. If parents were educated on what aps are beneficial to their children they are more apt to put them on the iPad. Same goes for the computer; parents are setting their children up on the computer and letting them go. If they know some educational websites that their children are familiar with they are more apt to use them. As a teacher I think that it would be a good idea to send home a list of good aps and good websites that your students are familiar with from class, and parents dont have to worry about difficult directions or finding educational websites.
First looking at this article I almost cant believe my eyes. Im going to be the one that has to deal with this once i have completed college. I feel that this is a little bit too extreme. Although a lot of families have this technology in their home i think that an over exposure to it will just begin the spiral downwards. Children, as it is, are always inside and just sitting around. I almost cant understand why they would just want to promote more if that within a classroom.
I am honestly not sure how I feel about kindergarten students getting new iPads. However, I do feel that these iPads would be more useful at a higher grade level. I don't remember too much from kindergarten but I can see how the iPads could be useful in the classroom. I figure the children will use them mostly to play educational games and watch informative videos. However, on the other hand it might be better to have the videos and information given to the class as opposed to each student learning the information on their own. The reason iPads would be more useful at a higher grade level is that I feel that kindergartners will not be able to use it to its full potential. So overall I am not sure I approve of giving young students iPads, but I am not against it either.
I don't think this is a good idea. Like most of us in class, it is a shock. There are such better places to put $200K like in arts and sports. Let's get these kids active again. Let's work on childhood obesity. These kids are going to be bombarded with technology over their school years. We first must give them a base foundation of physical activity. Then they will know what it is like to move. They have games at home that they will sit if front of the tube and veg. I am sad about this. This is not the direction we should be going. Yes we need to be technologically up to date with the rest of the world but not in kindergarten. Let kids be kids!!!
Although I do agree with the majority of the class on the note of kindergarteners being too young to appreciate the $500.00 ipad2s that will be in their hands come fall 2011, I do understand the school boards reasoning. I agree that when students are engaged, they can be taught anything and that students in today's society are engaged by using technology. I agree that this initiative will put these kindergarteners at an advantage and they may even learn more efficiently. My only concern is how young and irresponsible children are at age five and that this particular equipment is too expensive for such young children.
I feel it is pretty ridiculous to be giving kindergartners iPad 2. I feel like they should be older when they get those. They don't understand how much those things cost and they have chances of breaking them which would cost more money for them. I feel they shouldn't be given iPad2, atleast a laptop that isn't that expensive and could save some money. On the other note, they will be able to learn more things using the iPad which will help them in the future with technology. It is a good way to get apps that you can do activities on.
I'm all for technology and teaching kids how to use it. However this recent spending on an iPad2 for 300 kindergartners is ridiculous. My home town, Auburn is one of the towns whose kindergartners are being equipped with these expensive devices. I don't know if the school system realizes that there have been a number of layoffs in the Auburn school system over the past few years due to budget cuts. So WHY are we spending almost 200 grand on iPad2's when we're trying to make budget cuts. it just doesn't make sense to me one bit. Kindergartners can learn their abc's and counting just as well with a pencil and a piece of paper which also costs a lot less than an iPad2....
I think that kids in kindergarden shouldn't have ipads if they don't even know how to read or write yet because how are they going to be able to relate with the older generation if their not learning older skills. You could say that the older generation is going to be responsible for relating to them, but technology is expensive to buy and a lot of the older generations don't want to spend all that money. It also just seems out of place to be giving little kids ipads. It's expensive equipment and your trusting it in the hands of 5 year olds who could easily drop it on the ground and think nothing of it.
My sister is a part of the Auburn school system and I think it's a little rediculous that they are laying off teachers left and right and low on regular school supplies but feel the need to give technology to such a low grade level. I also think that they should be starting with the higher level classes so that they can complete their tasks of research easier. It seems like a crazy priority to be spending the school money on this! I don't agree with the decision at all. While it could very well be beneficial for the students to have them, and in an ideal world it would be great, there are more important things to be spending that money on.
I think that it is pretty retarded to give kindergardeners and ipad and waste all the money on them when they dont realy need that type of technology at that age.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Parents are already complaining about their children being addicted to watching the television, why are we letting little five-year olds start using iPads? I only know of one of my friends who actually has an iPad and I'm in college! I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of students who are used to communicating with a handheld device rather than their teacher. I can't even imagine how these children are going to be at social skills- if they only communicate with software and through technology, they won't know how to learn as a group and talk to one another.
I think that spending $200,000 on new iPad 2s for kindergarten children is a waste of money. Looking past the fact that these children probably don't understand just how expensive these pieces of technology are, and most likely many of them will be broken within the first few months, there are so many other things that the school board to use their money for. They could buy new books for their schools, better supplies, or maybe put the money towards possible renovations that schools might need. Another question is; why not give these iPads to older students? The iPad was built for so many more uses than to teach children how to draw and spell; older students would be better able to use these tablets to their fullest potential including accessing documents and files for class, creating displays and projects which, through certain cites, they can connect to a computer and control a presentation from the comfort of their own seat or by walking around the room. There better uses for a school board to spend $200,000 and I think that they should reevaluate their decision and put the money towards something more useful.
When first reading this article I was in awe. I feel like, particularly my generation, has grown up with technology changing all the time. Starting out in fourth grade, I began to use the internet, in 6th grade popularity of the cell phone grew, 7th grade the use of lap tops during classes, 10th grade the nintendo wii, and 12th grade the iPhone. When comparing these time frames, it is evident that kids nowadays are getting use to technology. The question, is this a good or bad thing? After reading this article it became real to me that kids are not getting introduced to technology,but living in it. This scares me because how are these kids suppose to learn good penmanship or be able to spell for themselves. I am not opposed to the idea, I would like to learn more on the benefits of giving kindergartners iPads. It's hard to understand the positives in this when the long term effects are unknown.
ReplyDeleteThis was brought up in my EDB 204 class last week. My first reaction was something along the lines of: "Are they serious?!" This is likely because I remember Maine's laptop initiative. My class was among the first in the state to start using laptops, and I recall it being a rough start. I remember hearing about students who would throw their laptops down the stairs because they hated them so much. If 7th graders aren't treating computers properly, how are 5 and 6 year olds supposed to treat them any better?
ReplyDeleteI can see many benefits to giving young students iPads. The games they can play on them are likely very engaging, and it allows them to learn better. I myself found that a game called MathBlaster was the most effective way to learn my times tables when I was in the 3rd and 4th grades. My fear is that these kindergarteners will become so dependent on these iPads that they will have a hard time adapting to other forms of learning.
Will there be a weaker emphasis on learning how to write with a paper and pencil? Is it even going to be worth it if we're beginning to get children to work more closely with technology? My greatest fear is that these skills might become obsolete and that students will eventually become even more dependent on technology to accomplish schoolwork.
When first reading this article I was mildly shocked that iPads are being given to kindergardeners, especially since I grew up in the Auburn school district. Back when I was in 7th grade we first got laptops at our school but they stayed in school, and often times they got damaged by unruly guys. It wasn't until my sophomore year in high school where we had our own laptops that we could use in school and bring home. My senior year everyone got new laptops and implemented a new plan that whatever laptop you got assigned would stay with you all four years.
ReplyDeleteI was just shocked that kindergardeners are getting iPad 2's, I would of thought that they might have gone to older kids like 3rd or 4th graders. I realize that kids nowadays are completely immersed in technology, my little brother started playing video games at age 3, and being as good as my older brother as he got older. I've been inside one of the pre-k classes and kindergarden classes in the auburn school district, and I've seen the kindergardeners working at different stations doing different activities with a few other group members as one group of kids sits with the teacher and practices reading. Now I can see one of the stations having the iPads and the kids could be working on learning their ABC's or 123's or something of that sort. I don't think that it's a bad idea getting kids used to using technology, but at that age it's not like they are dependent on technology. Kid's need to be kept engaged and theres many different ways of getting them engaged, technology is just a fun looking toy or tool for them to use.
I had the same reaction as everyone else when I first heard the news about children so young each being given their own iPads, and after reading the article I still feel that it is very excessive. I agree that it is important to keep up with technology, but I feel that it is overkill to go to this extent with it. I agree with Katie that there are other ways to go about exposing children to technology without going overboard with it. She had a very good idea that instead of each child being given his or her own iPad to work it, a classroom could have three or four for the children to work with in groups and still get the same benefit from them. Children do need to be engaged to get the most out of their education, but spending $200,000 dollars in order to get them to be engaged seems very extreme. I worry about children learning at an early age that they should be dependent on technology for everything. To me, providing iPads for schools was a good idea gone overboard, but we will see how it all works out.
ReplyDeleteI think giving ipads to kindergarten students is a little extreme. I have substitute taught kindergarten classes on many different occasion and if anyone else is I think that they would agree with me. I think that teaching the students technology is very important. Incorporating computers is a great program however Ipads and Kindergarteners just doesn't sound like a good idea. I think that if you have to threaten someone the loss of recess because they wont come up from underneath a table or if they wont stop calling other students "stupid heads" they probably shouldn't be given an ipad. I think there are other things that they need that would be more beneficial to them.
ReplyDeleteI am 50/50 on whether I like the idea or not. I think that iPads might be a little much, but on the other hand, if they are using this technology outside of the classroom it would be nice to give them the resources to use it right. Many students have this technology at home and their parents are using it as an electronic babysitter. If parents were educated on what aps are beneficial to their children they are more apt to put them on the iPad. Same goes for the computer; parents are setting their children up on the computer and letting them go. If they know some educational websites that their children are familiar with they are more apt to use them. As a teacher I think that it would be a good idea to send home a list of good aps and good websites that your students are familiar with from class, and parents dont have to worry about difficult directions or finding educational websites.
ReplyDeleteFirst looking at this article I almost cant believe my eyes. Im going to be the one that has to deal with this once i have completed college. I feel that this is a little bit too extreme. Although a lot of families have this technology in their home i think that an over exposure to it will just begin the spiral downwards. Children, as it is, are always inside and just sitting around. I almost cant understand why they would just want to promote more if that within a classroom.
ReplyDeleteI am honestly not sure how I feel about kindergarten students getting new iPads. However, I do feel that these iPads would be more useful at a higher grade level. I don't remember too much from kindergarten but I can see how the iPads could be useful in the classroom. I figure the children will use them mostly to play educational games and watch informative videos. However, on the other hand it might be better to have the videos and information given to the class as opposed to each student learning the information on their own. The reason iPads would be more useful at a higher grade level is that I feel that kindergartners will not be able to use it to its full potential. So overall I am not sure I approve of giving young students iPads, but I am not against it either.
ReplyDeleteI don't think this is a good idea. Like most of us in class, it is a shock. There are such better places to put $200K like in arts and sports. Let's get these kids active again. Let's work on childhood obesity. These kids are going to be bombarded with technology over their school years. We first must give them a base foundation of physical activity. Then they will know what it is like to move. They have games at home that they will sit if front of the tube and veg. I am sad about this. This is not the direction we should be going. Yes we need to be technologically up to date with the rest of the world but not in kindergarten. Let kids be kids!!!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do agree with the majority of the class on the note of kindergarteners being too young to appreciate the $500.00 ipad2s that will be in their hands come fall 2011, I do understand the school boards reasoning. I agree that when students are engaged, they can be taught anything and that students in today's society are engaged by using technology. I agree that this initiative will put these kindergarteners at an advantage and they may even learn more efficiently. My only concern is how young and irresponsible children are at age five and that this particular equipment is too expensive for such young children.
ReplyDeleteI feel it is pretty ridiculous to be giving kindergartners iPad 2. I feel like they should be older when they get those. They don't understand how much those things cost and they have chances of breaking them which would cost more money for them. I feel they shouldn't be given iPad2, atleast a laptop that isn't that expensive and could save some money. On the other note, they will be able to learn more things using the iPad which will help them in the future with technology. It is a good way to get apps that you can do activities on.
ReplyDeleteI'm all for technology and teaching kids how to use it. However this recent spending on an iPad2 for 300 kindergartners is ridiculous. My home town, Auburn is one of the towns whose kindergartners are being equipped with these expensive devices. I don't know if the school system realizes that there have been a number of layoffs in the Auburn school system over the past few years due to budget cuts. So WHY are we spending almost 200 grand on iPad2's when we're trying to make budget cuts. it just doesn't make sense to me one bit. Kindergartners can learn their abc's and counting just as well with a pencil and a piece of paper which also costs a lot less than an iPad2....
ReplyDeleteI think that kids in kindergarden shouldn't have ipads if they don't even know how to read or write yet because how are they going to be able to relate with the older generation if their not learning older skills. You could say that the older generation is going to be responsible for relating to them, but technology is expensive to buy and a lot of the older generations don't want to spend all that money. It also just seems out of place to be giving little kids ipads. It's expensive equipment and your trusting it in the hands of 5 year olds who could easily drop it on the ground and think nothing of it.
ReplyDeleteMy sister is a part of the Auburn school system and I think it's a little rediculous that they are laying off teachers left and right and low on regular school supplies but feel the need to give technology to such a low grade level. I also think that they should be starting with the higher level classes so that they can complete their tasks of research easier. It seems like a crazy priority to be spending the school money on this! I don't agree with the decision at all. While it could very well be beneficial for the students to have them, and in an ideal world it would be great, there are more important things to be spending that money on.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is pretty retarded to give kindergardeners and ipad and waste all the money on them when they dont realy need that type of technology at that age.
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely ridiculous. Parents are already complaining about their children being addicted to watching the television, why are we letting little five-year olds start using iPads? I only know of one of my friends who actually has an iPad and I'm in college! I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of students who are used to communicating with a handheld device rather than their teacher. I can't even imagine how these children are going to be at social skills- if they only communicate with software and through technology, they won't know how to learn as a group and talk to one another.
ReplyDeleteI think that spending $200,000 on new iPad 2s for kindergarten children is a waste of money. Looking past the fact that these children probably don't understand just how expensive these pieces of technology are, and most likely many of them will be broken within the first few months, there are so many other things that the school board to use their money for. They could buy new books for their schools, better supplies, or maybe put the money towards possible renovations that schools might need. Another question is; why not give these iPads to older students? The iPad was built for so many more uses than to teach children how to draw and spell; older students would be better able to use these tablets to their fullest potential including accessing documents and files for class, creating displays and projects which, through certain cites, they can connect to a computer and control a presentation from the comfort of their own seat or by walking around the room. There better uses for a school board to spend $200,000 and I think that they should reevaluate their decision and put the money towards something more useful.
ReplyDelete